Current Calculations/Joule effect

Numerical methods and mathematical models of Elmer
xyrus
Antispam: Yes

Current Calculations/Joule effect

Post by xyrus »

Hello,
I am not sure if this is the correct forum but I have seen a similar post so I am posting it here. I am a student working on my final year project and I have a hit a wall.
I needed to calculate the heat-power calculation commonly known as Joule Heating effect.
I have the 316/316L stainless steel tube with 8mm OD as metal tube and I have a variable 30V DC power supply in lab, I need to calculate how much current in amps do I need to heat it to 1000 C, taking in account there might be losses and 1000 C to reach inside the metal tube meaning the material placed inside the tube should experience a 1000 C temperature.
I am sorry if this is not the correct forum or place to put a problem, but I am desperate at this point.
Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

Regards,
Xyrus
mzenker

Re: Current Calculations/Joule effect

Post by mzenker »

Hi,

I don't know what exactly your problem is, and I will not do your homework for you. ;)
If you are new to Elmer, you should have a look into the tutorials and the Models Manual. You will need the Heat solver and the Static Current solver. If you have more specific questions, you are welcome to ask...

HTH,

Matthias
raback
Site Admin
Antispam: Yes

Re: Current Calculations/Joule effect

Post by raback »

Hi

Yes, there is a test case current_heat_control that almost does this, see

https://github.com/ElmerCSC/elmerfem/tr ... at_control

You're lucky as you're working with DC. Things would be more complicated with high-frequency AC.

-Peter