Electrostatic: mesh with wires

Numerical methods and mathematical models of Elmer
LowLow
Antispam: Yes

Re: Electrostatic: mesh with wires

Post by LowLow »

You will find the .geo files in attached file. You should launch the file main.geo to generate the mesh.
Note that I generate the mesh with the following option: gmsh main.geo -3 -order 2 and that I use ElmerGrid with the -autoclean option.
Thank you very much Matthias for your help!

Loïc
Attachments
test.zip
(160 Bytes) Downloaded 234 times
mzenker

Post by mzenker »

There is no file in test.zip...
LowLow

Post by LowLow »

Sorry for that...
Attachments
test.tar
(40 KiB) Downloaded 230 times
mzenker

Post by mzenker »

Hi Loic,

I think I know what your problem is: your two bodies and also their meshes are separated and superposed, there is no connection between them. So the Electrostatic solver does not see the wire, and the StaticCurrent solver does not see cathode and anode. You have to modify your geometry so that there is an interface between the two bodies where the mesh is conformal, i.e. the nodes are the same. This should be possible in gmsh since version 3 using the boolean functions, but I have never done it. You will find help in their documentation and on the gmsh mailing list. Before the meshing, your bodies have to share a common interface (mesh_surface in your geometry).
If gmsh cannot do it, you can use Salomé. There you have to make a partition and then mesh.
I think having done that you will get the results you expect.

HTH,

Matthias
LowLow

Post by LowLow »

Hi Matthias,
Thank you very much! I am going to look at your solution.
Thanks for your help,

Loïc
phb

Post by phb »

Hi,

I just ran into a similar problem. All volumes where solved independently without sharing boudary conditions. I fixed it by calling

Code: Select all

v[] = BooleanFragments{ Volume{ex1[1]}; }{ Volume{ex2[1],ex3[1],ex4[1]}; };
from the openCASCADE kernel, where ex1 is the gas volume (without cut-outs) and ex{2..4}[1] are volumes that are placed inside the gas (i.e. cathode, anode, field strips)

Cheers
phb