Linear Elasticity Solver - Material Section

Numerical methods and mathematical models of Elmer
biocca
Antispam: Yes

Linear Elasticity Solver - Material Section

Post by biocca »

Hi everyone,

I have a query concerning the operation of Pre Stress in the material section, the idea is to use to input pre stress over the body simulating a residual stress, the Elmer Models Manual doesn't explain much about how it works and if possible introduce them in any particular direction.

Thanks in advance. Nicolás.
raback
Site Admin

Re: Linear Elasticity Solver - Material Section

Post by raback »

Sorry, probably almost half of ElmerSolver features are undocumented. And still the current documentation is already 720 pages. So unfortunately often the best documentation is the code. -Peter
mzenker

Post by mzenker »

Hi Peter,

it is indeed a pity that so many functionality in the solvers are not documented. I think this generates a good part of the questions at this forum. At least it would be good that the keywords used by the solvers which come with the Elmer distribution are listed in the models manual, with a short explanation. Ideally this would be done by the person who has implemented the keyword... ;)
I know that time is an issue, but IMO a short note in the models manual doesn't take that long, and makes the new functionality accessible to others.
Could you think of ways to improve the situation?
Of course one can search the forum, but this may mean reading lengthy threads until one finds the info one is looking for.
An idea which just came to my mind would be to use the elmerwiki as intermediate documentation as long as it has not made it into the models manual. Users could be encouraged to document there a functionality they know and which is not documented in the models manual. You can then transfer it to the models manual when you have time.

What do you think?

Matthias
biocca

Post by biocca »

Juha still be administrator? because appears as the author of StressSolve module.