Elmer Install on Windows 10 not working

Discussion about building and installing Elmer
sameer21101970
Antispam: Yes

Re: Elmer Install on Windows 10 not working

Post by sameer21101970 »

End
Last edited by sameer21101970 on 30 Sep 2019, 15:04, edited 1 time in total.
raback
Site Admin

Post by raback »

Hi

Your picture makes me wonder whether you're still on the linear regime. What if you reduce the load significantly. Now your result looks very distorted.

You would like to click the load in with the mouse. That would of course be convenient. Unfortunately Elmer is a project mostly driven by projects that are often on the bleeding edge whereas there are no projects related to the GUI development. The business logic for creating nice user interfaces is more difficult with the open source model.

-Peter
sameer21101970

Post by sameer21101970 »

Elmer is doing very good work on open platform, we need to give the elmer team feedback on what as a user we want to make the solver simple to use.
I hv tried linear analysis and very much happy with Equaltions Capability to handle high Pressure data.
But would request ElmerTeam to give Control on Defination / Location of Load by Coordinates (x,y,z) so that exact load point/node can be defined/applied.

Some of the Rows in Boundary Condition in Nonlinear are not having any explanation like,

Nodal loads
Displacement Periodics

Hope elmer team is reading all this stuff.
sameer21101970

Post by sameer21101970 »

Dear Peter

I have read your elmerposts way back since 2012. You can Guide new users on How to Learn MATC.
It is Matlab or combination of Fortran & Matlab.
8 page MATC Manual is not sufficient to learn it for Non-Software Engineer.

For example i want to define by MATC simple stress=Force/area equation at Element and much more. But Proper Material is require to fully utilize Power of Elmer.
Kindly Reply and Guide.
raback wrote: 17 Sep 2019, 17:40 Hi

Your picture makes me wonder whether you're still on the linear regime. What if you reduce the load significantly. Now your result looks very distorted.

You would like to click the load in with the mouse. That would of course be convenient. Unfortunately Elmer is a project mostly driven by projects that are often on the bleeding edge whereas there are no projects related to the GUI development. The business logic for creating nice user interfaces is more difficult with the open source model.

-Peter
Adev

Paraview on Windows 10 not working

Post by Adev »

I have only recently found and installed Elmer and I am doing my best to learn how to use it. Thus far I have succeeded in running several Tutorials and obtained the documented answers.
However, I have not been able to get Paraview to launch from the ElmerGUI to display the results following the Tutotials line-by-line.
I then launched Paraview from outside Elmer and found it had some errors relating to my Windows 10, Intel i3 64Bit with 8 GB RAM … particularly naming the standard Intel graphics card as one of the problems. That was version 5.7 of Paraview. Then I set out to uninstall V5.7 and install V5.6, etc all the way down to V5.0. With some of the older versions of Paraview, it can be launched from outside ElmerGui with a little more functionality than V5.7, but still with the graphics card message and numerous subsequent errors.
So, my question: Which version of Paraview should I install or is known to work on a industry standard Windows 10 PC?
Thank you in advance for your help.
Adriaan
raback
Site Admin

Post by raback »

Hi

I think the differences in operation may come from whether your installed paraview is on the path. ElmerGUI only launches a system command for paraview. That's it.

Generally, I always install the most recent paraview. The only way paraview interacts with Elmer is that it should be able to read the .VTU files that Elmer writes. There hasn't been any problems lately on this account.

-Peter
Adev

Post by Adev »

Thank you Peter,
I do not understand what action you are recommending with "I think the differences in operation may come from whether your installed paraview is on the path".
When I run, say Tutorial problem 16 of the August 2019 Tutorial Guide ("Using VectorHelmholtz module to model wave propagation in bent waveguide"), I successfully can run the Tutorial up to "Run - Start Solver" and can verify the results from the Solver Log window, after following the tutorial line-by-line. At that point, the Tutorial next step is to select "Run - Paraview". Before doing that, I note that two .vtu files were created where I anticipated only one: Case0001.vtu and case10002.vtu. When doing the "Run - Paraview" step in the GUI, absolutely nothing happens. The same "nothing" happens with Tutorial numbers 5, 9, 10 and 12.
To add as background, when I installed Elmer at the end of September 2019, I did not have Paraview installed on my computer and nothing in the Elmer documents prompted me to install Paraview … rather, the installation instructions appear to indicate that Paraview is imbedded in Elmer. This is initially how I obtained the result described above.
Thereafter, a few days ago, I found that Paraview is available as a stand-alone application and I installed it thinking it may solve my problem. However, re-running the above tutorials came to the exact same spot where nothing happens after selecting "Run Paraview" from the GUI.
I am totally open to uninstalling everything and reinstalling all the required software in any specific sequence if you or someone else can provide me with such a sequence of installation steps.
Thank you again for your help … I know you are very busy, and maybe someone else can help.
Adriaan
kevinarden

Post by kevinarden »

PATH is a system variable that lets an operating system like W10 know where the executable file is. ElmerGUI just runs paraview.exe, but if the operating system does not know where paraview.exe is located it won't run it. This site gives you information on listing the PATH and setting the PATH variable on W10.

https://www.techjunkie.com/environment- ... indows-10/
Adev

Paraview with Win10 & Intel Graphics

Post by Adev »

Thank you Kevin,
The path statement is only part of the solution which I eventually found, plus the next challenge.
As mentioned before, I hope future versions of the Elmer Documentation includes better instructions on several levels, particularly for beginner users.
1. First of all, nowhere in the Manuals does it state that Paraview is a separate program that needs to be installed
Solution: Paraview must be downloaded and installed from https://www.paraview.org/download/
2. The latest version of Paraview does not work with the September 2019 version of Elmer unless
Solution a. The user manually modifies the Win10 system path commands. This can be done as Kevin indicated, using the Control panel - System - Advanced Settings: Here the "Environment Variables" must be launched and then the User variables and System variables modified to point to the Paraview executable and to the Path where it is located. (This task is usually accomplished by software installer programs, missing for Paraview).
Solution b. If your system uses a built in Intel graphics driver, the latest several versions of Paraview will not work. In my case, I drilled down all the Paraview versions from V5.7 until I found the most recent one that works is "Version 4.4.0 Qt4 Windows 64 bit"

Now that Paraview launches from the GUI, following per the Tutorial Manual, the only instruction is to press Run - Start Paraview and guess what … Paraview launches and loads the Tutorial's .vtu file, but the plots displayed in the Tutorial does not show. After some initial fiddling, I could display the geometry but I still have to figure out how to display the results without any instructions. Grrrr … days and days go by wasted.
I'll keep posting any success to hopefully help others avoid this brain damage.
Adriaan
kevinarden

Post by kevinarden »

Paraview is a separate program and has its own tutorials