How to install

Discussion about building and installing Elmer
Oldbelt
Antispam: Yes

How to install

Post by Oldbelt »

Can anybody help me wih this installation.
I am mechanical designer and not IT Expert.
I used the former edition of Elmer with succes
download/file.php?mode=view&id=3586
Attachments
Error in instal Elmer.JPG
Error in instal Elmer.JPG (79.22 KiB) Viewed 7579 times
raback
Site Admin

Re: How to install

Post by raback »

Hi

There might actually be nothing wrong. ElmerPost is not distributed anymore as it is more or less obsolite. Does ElmerGUI not work?

-Peter
Oldbelt

Post by Oldbelt »

Hello raback.
Thanks for your quick reply, but a can't understand it.
I download the newest Elmer and install, there is a Post.exe file!!
Why is it obsolute.
Gui run, I can load a simpel beam, set it with material, bounderies and a force.
Run Sif get a file. Save the project.
Run solver, but the iteration windov shows nothing.
Open the result window, it has a lot of data, ending with a "succes" line.
Click on "P" bottun, nothing happens a line at the lover edge of the window sayes :
"NO post input file exsist" or something like this.

How to explain and procede.
I have used the old Elmer with succes.
kr. Oldbelt.
mzenker

Post by mzenker »

Hi,

most probably your simulation has created an output file case.vtu, which is the format for the ParaView postprocessor. Is there such a file in your result directory? You can check the output format under "Model->Setup->Post file" in ElmerGUI.

@Elmer team: It might be a good idea to update the installation tester to reflect the current state of things for postprocessing... ;)

HTH,
Matthias
Oldbelt

Post by Oldbelt »

Hi Matthias.
Yes I have a file <case001.vtu> in my result folder.
At the Run dropdown list I have a Paraview button with a striped color icon, but nothing happens.
By the way the iteration window is'nt shown, but sometimes shown but witout the red
line showing the Progress. In command line elmer write finish after running the solwer.

kh. Oldbelt.
mzenker

Post by mzenker »

Hi,

you have to install ParaView separately. It is not distributed with Elmer as it is a Software of its own, see paraview.org.
Open case.vtu from ParaView to view your results. It might work to launch ParaView from within ElmerGUI, but you might have to set some PATH variables for that. If you don't know how to set those variables on your system, you can just as well start ParaView from the Windows Start menu and open the vtu file from there.

HTH,
Matthias
NJank

Post by NJank »

looking at my windows elmer 8.4 bin folder, elmerpost is thankfully still there. most of what I do uses other programs to read text output, but I still use elmerpost as a quick output viewer.
Oldbelt

Post by Oldbelt »

I have Paraview runnung and try it out with a simple beam 1m x 0.1m x 0.05 m just as the tutorial no 3.
I made the beam in Alibre as I have done severel times with the old Elmer. Output a .stl file.
I follow the set up from the toturial no 3. It's a beam fully constrained in one end.
I get a non useful result with Paraviewer, a very little disp. and no strees in the fixed end.
The toturial teels that the displayment is 6cm in the free end.
Text book calculation gives the same result.

I tried to find the toturial 3's demo file <beam3d.grd>, but without any result.
It maybe can show where I make failures.

kr. Oldbelt
mzenker

Post by mzenker »

Hi,

the tutorials files are on the Elmer website www.csc.fi/elmer under "Documentation", "Elmer Tutorials with related for gui and non-gui".
The nonGUI Tutorials Manual can be found here: http://www.nic.funet.fi/pub/sci/physics ... nonGUI.pdf

HTH,
Matthias