Paraview does not start

Discussion about building and installing Elmer
birke
Antispam: Yes

Paraview does not start

Post by birke »

Hello,

Paraview does start for me.

I have installed elmerfem-8.2_Windows-AMD64.exe and ParaView-5.5.2-Qt5-Windows-64bit.exe on a Windows 10 64bit laptop. Well, the ELMER_POST_HOME system variable was missing, but I set it to C:\Program Files (x86)\Elmer 8.2-Release\bin\share\elmpost -- correct? I added C:\Program Files (x86)\Elmer 8.2-Release\lib to the path. I also added the system variable PARAVIEW_HOME as C:\Program Files\ParaView 5.5.2-Qt5-Windows-64bit\bin, and the path C:\Program Files\ParaView 5.5.2-Qt5-Windows-64bit\bin to PATH. The ElmerGUI installation tester is all green.

I am trying to replicate tutorial 3 -- Loaded elastic beam -- from the Elmer GUI Tutorial. The only difference, in Model -> Setup -> Post file I now set case.vtu instead of the default case.ep. Neither makes a difference below, though.

File -> Save Project + Sif Generate + Run -> Start Solver seem to work. At least the Solver log does not show any errors. However, Run -> Start Paraview doesn't do a thing: no window, no error message, no nothing.

So, I try to run Paraview standalone. File -> Open -> case001.vtu is loaded, but Paraview crashes when visualizing any property.

Any idea, thanks,
Birke
raback
Site Admin

Re: Paraview does not start

Post by raback »

Hi birke

What is particularly worrysome is the 2nd issue that when opening the file manually Paraview crashes. This should always be an alternative if there is some trouble with the settings when calling the system command for Paraview. Maybe you could sent a problematic vtu file for inspection.

Unfortunately I almost never use the Windows version and haven't encountered these problems recently. It is imperative that paraview is at path since the system command is does not specify it but you seem to have that covered.

-Peter
birke

Post by birke »

Peter,

thanks! Please find the vtu file I created replicating that tutorial 3 -- loaded beam -- from the Elmer GUI Tutorial. Compressed with 7z native.

Also, I attach a screenshot of Paraview moments before crash (with some blue marks from the snipping tool to be ignored). Here, I am asking for displacement, just out of sight in the lower left pane. No other error message; maybe in some system files?

Birke
Attachments
case.sif
(1.84 KiB) Downloaded 463 times
Paraview before crash.GIF
(170.32 KiB) Not downloaded yet
case0001.7z
decompress with 7z native to case0001.vtu
(526.19 KiB) Downloaded 434 times
raback
Site Admin

Post by raback »

Hi

I did some testing on under LInux Mint.

1) The .vtu file indeed fails to open in Paraview.
2) Running the same case from scratch goes ok.

The funny thing is that the ascii part of the two files is exactly the same. So it seems that the binary part of your output is somehow corrupted on your setup. What version of Elmer are you running and on what platform?

The L2 norm of solution should be 0.18086684E-01. Even NaN should not fail in Paraview.

Attached is my corresponding vtu file.

-Peter
Attachments
case0001.7z
(484.58 KiB) Downloaded 426 times
raback
Site Admin

Post by raback »

Hi

Did one more test on Windows10 as well. Running the case with a fresh nightly build creates a working vtu file for me.

-Peter
birke

Post by birke »

Peter,

your case0001.vtu runs fine! So, the Paraview installation -- version 5.5.2 with Qt5 -- seems to work. Is this the version that Elmer expects?

I have used both the elmerfem-8.2_Windows-AMD64.exe as well as the elmerfem-nightly_Windows-AMD64.exe with the same result. Windows 10 64bit with all updates.

Where do you find the L2 norm? I think I have followed that tutorial 3 from the Elmer GUI Tutorial, but it doesn't mention L2 anywhere?

Thanks,
Birke
raback
Site Admin

Post by raback »

Hi

Elmer does not consider any particular paraview version. As long as the Paraview version can read the vtu files any version should go.

L2 norm is outputted on standard out.

-Peter
birke

Post by birke »

Peter,

I did not set any boundary conditions! Well, naively, I thought right-clicking on a boundary and "updating" the context menu would assign a boundary condition to a boundary, but Elmer doesn't catch the boundary index automatically and drops the empty update; that is, I still need to tick the correct boundary index manually. The tutorial, though, sounds otherwise. Not sure whether that's just the way Elmer works, or whether there's a problem with my setup. I had re-installed the latest nightly build beforehand, though; and with a manual update of those boundary condition it works now.

Thanks,
Birke
shandilya62

Post by shandilya62 »

Hi Shandilya here,

I have installed Elmer in my ubuntu 18.04 LTS but Paraview is not there in the elmer. So I have separately installed Paraview, now how can i connect paraview to the Elmer?

Please give any method.
Forgive me if I have written anything wrong.