remeshing errors

Discussion about building and installing Elmer
Gary R
Antispam: Yes

remeshing errors

Post by Gary R »

I finally got a clean build from the source code. My first attempt to run the ElmerGUI sample pump_carter_sup.stp resulted in the following error:
Unable to (re)mesh: no input data or mesh generator (please make sure that your input file suffix is in lower case.

Any attempt to remesh any file results in the same error.

Am I missing a mesh generator or is there something else wrong? Do I need a plugin?

Please help

Gary R
Gary R

Re: remeshing errors

Post by Gary R »

OK, the above problem was caused by operator problems. Elmer files have to be in .mesh format (there may be others but this is what I intend to use). I produced the geometry with FreeCAD in .step format. I then loaded the .step file into gmsh and created the mesh. The output was in the .msh format. I then ran ElmerGrid with the 14 2 settings to supposedly produce a .mesh file. What I got was a new directory with mesh.boundary, mesh.elements, mesh.header and mesh.nodes.

How do I get this into ElmerGUI to run the solver,.

Gary R.
mzenker

Post by mzenker »

Hi Gary,

ElmerGUI has a variant of ElmerGrid built-in. You can "File->Open" the .msh file produced by gmsh, or "File->Load mesh" the directory with the mesh files in Elmer format produced by the standalone ElmerGrid.
If you experience problems in the GUI loading a mesh which is not in Elmer format, then you can try if converting with ElmerGrid on the command line using the -autoclean option makes things better.

HTH,
Matthias
Gary R

Post by Gary R »

I have been trying to get the mesh. files into ElmerGUI with no success. I tried entering the files as a project, Load mesh files and just plain open. In most cases ElmerGUI just shut down. I also tried the suggestion that ElmerGUI would take a .msh file. It errored out and stopped.

Don't know what else to try. ElmerGrid works fine. But as I said before, I don't know what to do with the four "mesh." files that it produces.

Help will be greatly appreciated.

Gary R.
mzenker

Post by mzenker »

Hi Gary,

first you should make sure that your mesh is OK:

* Try to open the .msh file with gmsh and check that it is still ok
* Convert the Elmer mesh files back to gmsh format with "ElmerGrid 2 4 mesh" and examine that in gmsh

Did you use the -autoclean option when converting the .msh to Elmer format? If not, try if that improves things.

The part of ElmerGUI which handles the mesh and displays it is not bug-free.It sometimes happens that it crashes on a mesh which is not faulty. In that case, you could write a sif file with a text editor, maybe taking an old project as model, and run ElmerSolver from the command line. The numbering of bodies and boundaries can be retrieved from the Elmer mesh file comverted back to gmsh format, or from the ElmerGrid output when converting the mesh to Elmer format.

HTH,

Matthias