Installing from source code on Ubuntu/Debian/Mint

Discussion about building and installing Elmer
Gary R
Antispam: Yes

Installing from source code on Ubuntu/Debian/Mint

Post by Gary R »

After much struggle I finally got a working copy of Elmer installed from source code. The main hangup was the difference between the package names in the CMakeLists.txt and the names in the respective repositories. So, here is a reference that I hope will help any poor soles that are dumb enough to try a source code installation.

First, I much prefer to select and deselect packages in the CMakeLists.txt file instead of stringing a bunch of stuff on the command line. With a reasonable text editor (nano, kate etc.) scroll down to the place where TRUE / FALSE settings are made. Do the following:
  • MPI -TRUE Use libopenmpi-dev (This sets up a robust message passing system)
    OpenMP - TRUE This is built into the GCC compiler (This allows parallel computing )
    MKL -FALSE (Unless you are using an Intel processor. The Intel Math Kernel library)
    Mumps - TRUE Use libmumps-dev or libmumps-xxx
    Hypre - FALSE ( Unless you using 100 or more core system. The you are on your own)
    ElmerGUI - TRUE ( Unless you are wedded to the command line. You want this)
    ElmerICE - FALSE (Unless you are modeling glaciers or ice sheets)
    ElmerGUITester - FALSE (Caused me make errors and is not needed)
    ElmerGUILogger - FALSE (You really don't need this)
    Trilinos - TRUE ( This has to be compiled from Git source code.With the other libraries installed its easy.)
    FETI4I -FALSE (Another huge core system helper you probable wont need)
    ElmerPost -FALSE (An obsolete package. Use Paraview instead.)
Feel free to correct or improve this list. I strongly suggest that it be put into the README file that comes with the Git download.

Gary R.
annier

Re: Installing from source code on Ubuntu/Debian/Mint

Post by annier »

Hi Gary R,
1. Your notes are a result of in-depth experience. your remarks are highly useful for reference and Elmer users.
2. I too recommend your notes for further activities with cmake based Elmer installation.

Note: For those working with Ubuntu and want easy installation of Elmer, it can be done via launchpad.

Yours Sincerely,
Anil Kunwar
Anil Kunwar
Faculty of Mechanical Engineering, Silesian University of Technology, Gliwice
Gary R

Re: Installing from source code on Ubuntu/Debian/Mint

Post by Gary R »

Thanks for the warm fuzzes. But I think I spoke too soon about ElmerGUItester. I's probably a good idea to run this after completing the installation. One note; there is a bug in the make file system. To make the cmake, make system work you will have to install a soft link from ElmerGUItester/forms to /src. Seems that the compiler looks for a mainform.ui file in /src that really is in /forms. This is a bug that I reported but should have been fixed a long time ago. ElmerGUI had the same bug but that one has long been fixed.

Now if someone would just explain to me how set up ELMER_HOME, ELMERGUI_HOME and ELMER_POST_HOME I will be a happy camper. For some reason setting up EV's has always been a week spot with me. I only do systems level work when I am forced to

Gary R