About launch pad installation for totally clean Ubuntu

Discussion about building and installing Elmer
Estiivan
Antispam: Yes

About launch pad installation for totally clean Ubuntu

Post by Estiivan »

Hello all,

Thanx for annier and rest. After facing troubles without a known cause (for me), I decided to install Ubuntu 16.04 LTS anew to my computer in order for sure to be free from previous Elmer installation tries. I followed this time launchpad instructions given in https://www.csc.fi/web/elmer/binaries

$ sudo apt-add-repository ppa:elmer-csc-ubuntu/elmer-csc-ppa
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get install elmerfem-csc

And at least ElmerGUI starts without problems. However, there are no Elmer folders to be found. If I search with locate for elmer* nothing is found. Where does the launchpad put Elmer?

I would like to do tutorial examples given in ftp://nic.funet.fi/index/elmer/doc/ElmerTutorials.pdf but I think files related to examples (like geoslab.grd) were not installed by launchpad. Or? Can I still get them?

With regards and happy ID for all,
Estiivan
annier

Re: About launch pad installation for totally clean Ubuntu

Post by annier »

Estiivaan wrote:And at least ElmerGUI starts without problems. However, there are no Elmer folders to be found. If I search with locate for elmer* nothing is found. Where does the launchpad put Elmer?
Hi Estiivan,
1. Launchpad will install the Elmer libraries into different places of the computer system such as /usr/local/share or something like that as root folders. So, you can perform every command of Elmers without difficulty as it is distributed along the related directories . So, you can search in the folders /usr/... of your computer system. This is useful especially for ElmerGUI xml libraries for which you need to transfer edf extra to edf files as suggested before and getting the samples installed with ElmerGUI. Any persons installing Elmer via launchpad can guide you with where these things are installed.
Estiivaan wrote:I would like to do tutorial examples given in ftp://nic.funet.fi/index/elmer/doc/ElmerTutorials.pdf but I think files related to examples (like geoslab.grd) were not installed by launchpad. Or? Can I still get them?
2. Yes, you can get these examples in the installed location of ElmerGUI samples (/usr/local/share/.. or /usr/share/... or any other - I could not remember the exact location as i had done it quite a long while ago and now in my ubuntu system I have the cmake based installation.). For your ease, you can copy these samples to your home directory. Or, you can download Elmer latest version from https://github.com/ElmerCSC/elmerfem into your home directory in the folder or directory name myfolder. The tests and samples from there can be run (without installation as u have already installed Elmer via other way) with ElmerSolver and ElmerGUI command .
I. Type ElmerGUI command in terminal -->> Open /HOME/myfolder/elmerfem/ElmerGUI/samples/grd/geoslab.grd and run in accordance to the tutorial.
II. Open /HOME/myfolder/elmerfem/fem/tests/anytest and run in accordance to the nonGUI tutorial -->> Type ElmerSolver command in terminal

Summary,
1. Installation via launchpad will allow you to open Elmer libraries by typing command in to the terminal. It will disperse the installed libraries into your root directories in accordance to the path suitability for access.

2. For learning how to run tutorials, you can download Elmer from github and you can run the examples of this downloaded Elmer in uninstalled form by using the Elmer commands from your installed libraries. After a while, you will know by yourself where these all libraries of Elmer are installed in the root system of Ubuntu.

Yours Sincerely,
Anil Kunwar
Last edited by annier on 05 Dec 2016, 17:25, edited 2 times in total.
Anil Kunwar
Faculty of Mechanical Engineering, Silesian University of Technology, Gliwice
Estiivan

Post by Estiivan »

Thanx Annier,

samples seemed to be under /usr/share/ElmerGUI/samples/grd. So I was quite positive that now everything would work but still first example of tutorial fails when I hit solver button:

ELMER SOLVER (v 8.2) STARTED AT: 2016/12/05 16:07:24
ParCommInit: Initialize #PEs: 1
MAIN:
MAIN: =============================================================
MAIN: ElmerSolver finite element software, Welcome!
MAIN: This program is free software licensed under (L)GPL
MAIN: Copyright 1st April 1995 - , CSC - IT Center for Science Ltd.
MAIN: Webpage http://www.csc.fi/elmer, Email elmeradm@csc.fi
MAIN: Version: 8.2 (Rev: unknown, Compiled: 2016-12-02)
MAIN: =============================================================
ERROR:: InitializeElementDescriptions: elements.def not found

Sigh... What is it now? ... I tried to browse forum but did not find any definite answer how to get rid of this problem.

I have in .bashrc three lines as instructed:

export ELMER_HOME=$HOME/elmer/install/
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:$ELMER_HOME/lib
export PATH=$PATH:$ELMER_HOME/bin

I am using geoslab.grd file from /usr/share/ElmerGUI/samples/grd. Model summary:

FINITE ELEMENT MESH
Mesh dimension: 2
Leading element dimension: 2
Nodes: 303
Volume elements: 0
Surface elements: 200
Edge elements: 502
Point elements: 0

ELEMENT TYPES
404: 200
202: 502

BOUNDING BOX
X-coordinate: [ 0 , 1000 ]
Y-coordinate: [ -8000 , -4000 ]
Z-coordinate: [ 0 , 0 ]

GENERAL
Equations: 1
Materials: 1
Boundary conditions: 0
Body properties: 1

VOLUME BODIES
Undetermined: 0
Total: 0 volume bodies

SURFACE BODIES
Body 1: 200 surface elements
Total: 1 surface bodies

EDGE BODIES
Total: 0 edge bodies

SURFACE BOUNDARIES
Total: 0 surface boundaries

EDGE BOUNDARIES
Boundary 1: 2 edge elements
Boundary 2: 100 edge elements
Boundary 3: 2 edge elements
Boundary 4: 100 edge elements
Total: 4 edge boundaries

With regards,
Estiivan
annier

Post by annier »

Estiivan wrote:

Code: Select all

export ELMER_HOME=$HOME/elmer/install/
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:$ELMER_HOME/lib
export PATH=$PATH:$ELMER_HOME/bin
Clearly, the elmer installation directory is not Home when you install elmer via launchpad.
So, in your bashfile:
#export ELMER_HOME=$HOME/elmer/install/
#export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:$ELMER_HOME/lib
#export PATH=$PATH:$ELMER_HOME/bin

But I think the above error is not related to this.

Yours Sincerely,
Anil Kunwar
Anil Kunwar
annier

Post by annier »

Estiivan wrote:ERROR:: InitializeElementDescriptions: elements.def not found
This is related to the mesh path or mesh definition or pointing to the mesh or mesh initialization which you have not completed before you run ElmerSolver in GUI.
Anil Kunwar
Estiivan

Post by Estiivan »

Hello Annier,

Seems to work now (at least solver starts and does something). I uncommented export lines .bashrc

#export ELMER_HOME=$HOME/elmer/install/
#export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:$ELMER_HOME/lib
#export PATH=$PATH:$ELMER_HOME/bin

and now ElmerGUI seems to work. I added those export lines after first run crashed and thought reason was that I had forgotten to add them to .bashrc. But I guess problem was that I had not saved the project before hitting solver button.

Many thanx!

Estiivan