No ElmerGUI when installed

Discussion about building and installing Elmer
Estiivan
Antispam: Yes

No ElmerGUI when installed

Post by Estiivan »

Hello,

I think I followed instuctions given viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3742 but in /usr/bin there are no Elmer* files (as there are in another Ubuntu machine where ElmerGUI works) and ElmerGUI does not start. NonGUI test (square.grd) given in the previous webpage works just fine although. But I want to have ElmerGUI. Is easiest way to remove whole installation and start again or is there a shortcut to get GUI starting?

If removing is best option, is 'sudo apt-get remove --auto-remove elmer' the right way to do it?

Sorry for this elementary stuff... I got Elmer working in Windows but Ubuntu seems to be a bit trickier.
Estiivan

Re: No ElmerGUI when installed

Post by Estiivan »

I gave sudo apt-get remove --auto-remove elmer and got

[sudo] password for elmer:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Package 'elmer' is not installed, so not removed
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 106 not upgraded.
elmer@HP-EliteBook-8540w:~$

So I guess installation was not succesful. But still I was able to run square.grd example with NON-GUI ElmerSolver. Strange?
Estiivan

Post by Estiivan »

Ah, maybe sudo's remove won't work as I installed it through github?
Estiivan

Post by Estiivan »

I compiled (make -j4 install) again everything and all goes fine until I try to start ElmerGUI.

Getting Started with ElmerGUI Tutorials
1. At the ElmerGUI directory in ~/elmer/install/share/ directory,copy the contents(.xml files) of edf-extra folder to edf folder

Code: Select all
$ cp ~/elmer/install/share/ElmerGUI/edf-extra/* ~/elmer/install/share/ElmerGUI/edf/

This results: cp: cannot stat '/home/elmer/elmer/install/share/ElmerGUI/edf-extra/*': No such file or directory

What goes wrong? ...
annier

Post by annier »

Estiivan wrote:$cp ~/elmer/install/share/ElmerGUI/edf-extra/* ~/elmer/install/share/ElmerGUI/edf/
Hi Estiivan,
This command assumes that the installed libraries of ElmerGUI is in Home/elmer/install/share/ directory. Are you sure that you have your elmer installed in this way (path)?
For an easy way, you just go to ElmerGUI/edf-extra/ and copy all the xml files with mouse pointer click and paste to ElmerGUI/edf/ . Your questions are related to path related functionalities of Ubuntu OS and is generic to any libraries including Elmer software. Cheers.

Yours Sincerely,
Anil Kunwar
Anil Kunwar
Faculty of Mechanical Engineering, Silesian University of Technology, Gliwice
Estiivan

Post by Estiivan »

Hi Annier,

under ~/elmer/install/share there is only folder elmersolver (not ElmerGUI). ElmerGUI folder is found under ~/elmer/elmerfem/ElmerGUI with contest of:

Application ElmerGUI.pri GPL_EXCEPTION matc README
cmake ElmerGUI.pro LICENSES netgen samples
CMakeLists.txt GPL-2 license_texts PythonQt scripts

I can find edf and edf-extra in ~/elmer/elmerfem/ElmerGUI/Application folder. Should these be under ~/elmer/install/share?

Thanx for patience. :)

With regards,
Estiivan
annier

Post by annier »

Hi Estiivan,
Having elmersolver only in the installed directory, verifies that ElmerGUI is not installed in your Ubuntu system.
You need to reinstall Elmer and make sure that pre-requisites of ElmerGUI have been built successfully.
Below is an attachement figure for the shared libraries of ElmerGUI and elmersolver in Ubuntu 14.04 installed in accordance to viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3742.
Take a step by step procedure to make sure that pre-requisites are built or installed for the required elmer libraries.
ElmerGUI and elmersolver installation directory
ElmerGUI and elmersolver installation directory
elmer_install_directory_picture.jpg (32.07 KiB) Viewed 9327 times

Yours Sincerely,
Anil Kunwar
Anil Kunwar
Estiivan

Post by Estiivan »

Thanx Annier,

I deleted the user account on which I had Elmer and made a new account to be able to start from clean table. I followed your instructions in thread 'Installing Elmer in Ubuntu 14.04 using Cmake' but I got some error messages. I put these to that thread ('Installing Elmer in Ubuntu 14.04 using Cmake').

First problem seems to arise that WITH_MPI was checked on by default in Cmake GUI but I guess I don't have that library on computer (how can I get it?). Unchecking caused other problems.

But maybe I am getting closer...

Cheers!
raback
Site Admin

Post by raback »

Hi

For a clean Ubuntu you could try the launchpad, see
https://launchpad.net/~elmer-csc-ubuntu ... er-csc-ppa

-Peter
annier

Post by annier »

Hi Peter,
For installing the Elmer software in PPA (https://launchpad.net/~elmer-csc-ubuntu ... er-csc-ppa), don't we need the following command in the third line?

$ sudo apt-add-repository ppa:elmer-csc-ubuntu/elmer-csc-ppa

$ sudo apt-get update

$ sudo apt-get install elmerfem-csc
I am asking this in reference to the earlier post, I have made in the following thread viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3653.

Yours Sincerely,
Anil KUnwar
Anil Kunwar