update my elmer 7.0 to 8.0, how to do it?

Discussion about building and installing Elmer
sebastien ROUQUETTE
Antispam: Yes

Re: update my elmer 7.0 to 8.0, how to do it?

Post by sebastien ROUQUETTE »

i continue my post as i got a new unknown bug!!!

I installed Elmer8 a while ago on my ubuntu 14.04 LTs... after a long time without using elmer... i tried to run a program and discovered that ElmerSolver was not responding at all.
ElmerGUI still responded and that's it.

So i deleted all the elmer folder in order to install it again following the cmake-gui procedure...

Once i finished configuring my cmake and typed "make -j4 install" ... the install stopped at 81% with the following message:
[ 81%] Building Fortran object fem/src/CMakeFiles/elmersolver.dir/Multigrid.F90.o
[ 81%] Building CXX object ElmerGUI/Application/CMakeFiles/ElmerGUI.dir/ElmerGUI_automoc.cpp.o
Linking CXX executable ElmerGUI
/usr/bin/ld: ne peut trouver -lGL
/usr/bin/ld: ne peut trouver -lGL
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [ElmerGUI/Application/ElmerGUI] Erreur 1
make[1]: *** [ElmerGUI/Application/CMakeFiles/ElmerGUI.dir/all] Erreur 2
make[1]: *** Attente des tâches non terminées....
[ 81%] [ 81%] Building Fortran object fem/src/CMakeFiles/elmersolver.dir/EigenSolve.F90.o
Building Fortran object fem/src/CMakeFiles/elmersolver.dir/ParallelEigenSolve.F90.o
[ 81%] Building Fortran object fem/src/CMakeFiles/elmersolver.dir/SolverUtils.F90.o
[ 81%] Building Fortran object fem/src/CMakeFiles/elmersolver.dir/Adaptive.F90.o
[ 81%] Building Fortran object fem/src/CMakeFiles/elmersolver.dir/DefUtils.F90.o
[ 81%] [ 81%] Building Fortran object fem/src/CMakeFiles/elmersolver.dir/MaterialModels.F90.o
Building Fortran object fem/src/CMakeFiles/elmersolver.dir/BlockSolve.F90.o
[ 81%] Building Fortran object fem/src/CMakeFiles/elmersolver.dir/MainUtils.F90.o
[ 81%] [ 81%] [ 81%] [ 81%] Building Fortran object fem/src/CMakeFiles/elmersolver.dir/DiffuseConvectiveGeneralAnisotropic.F90.o
Building Fortran object fem/src/CMakeFiles/elmersolver.dir/CircuitUtils.F90.o
Building Fortran object fem/src/CMakeFiles/elmersolver.dir/DiffuseConvectiveAnisotropic.F90.o
Building Fortran object fem/src/CMakeFiles/elmersolver.dir/ExchangeCorrelations.F90.o
[ 81%] Building Fortran object fem/src/CMakeFiles/elmersolver.dir/Feti.F90.o
[ 81%] Building Fortran object fem/src/CMakeFiles/elmersolver.dir/FreeSurface.F90.o
^Cmake[2]: *** [fem/src/CMakeFiles/elmersolver.dir/DiffuseConvectiveAnisotropic.F90.o] Interrompre
make[2]: *** [fem/src/CMakeFiles/elmersolver.dir/CircuitUtils.F90.o] Interrompre
make[2]: *** [fem/src/CMakeFiles/elmersolver.dir/Feti.F90.o] Interrompre
make[2]: *** [fem/src/CMakeFiles/elmersolver.dir/FreeSurface.F90.o] Interrompre
make[1]: *** [fem/src/CMakeFiles/elmersolver.dir/all] Interrompre
make: *** [all] Interrompre

it seems that the 1st problem started with ElmerGUI ... and then stopped again when it was trying to install DiffuseconvectiveAnisotropic.F90.o ...

so any ideas?

Cheers
Rouquette Sébastien
University of Montpellier / Mechanical and Civil Engineering Lab. / Welding Group
sebastien ROUQUETTE

Well , good morning, i still have not fixed the problem....
i removed "ElmerGUI" for installation with cmak-gui. and then i performed the install. this time, the install worked without any errors.Unfortunately, it is not working at all.
I called "ElmerSolver" as i was used to do it.
One of my CPU starts working at 100% but not process appears when i call "top" ???? and worst, i am not able to turn off my computer in a gently manner after that... because my computer wants to kill a ghost process...
Is anyone got this problem on hp elitebook with ubuntu 14.04 LTS?
Cheers
Rouquette Sébastien
University of Montpellier / Mechanical and Civil Engineering Lab. / Welding Group
sebastien ROUQUETTE

end of this post!!!!

i finally decided to meet the it technicien (who is used to work with ubuntu).... after a long cleaning of old removed packages and more... the errors either "cannot fin -lGL" or "MPI aborts" message was not solved!
finally he fixed a problem of computer shutdown in the grub: he changed the line "GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash acpi=off" for "GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="" "
the funny things is... that both ElmerGUI and ElmerSolver worked after that without any problems??????

weird but i'm happy now!
Rouquette Sébastien