the difference between ElmerNonGUI and Elmer,ElmerGUI

Discussion about building and installing Elmer
zhang liangfu
Antispam: Yes

the difference between ElmerNonGUI and Elmer,ElmerGUI

Post by zhang liangfu »

The following links have been referred for installation and compilation of ElmerNonGUI in Ubuntu 14.04 (64 bits)
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3585&p=12259&sid=58 ... a87#p12259
But I want an Elmer and ElmerGUI .also,I am eager to know the difference between the ElmerNonGUI and the Elmer,ElmerGUI.
I have been installed the Elmer and ElmerGUI ,I find it is convenient to use Elmer and ElmerGUI.So i am long for the process of the installing and compiling of the Elmer and ElmerGUI
I tried it but not sucess
the process is on the base of
http://ascend4.org/Building_Elmer_on_Ubuntu_12.04
but when I install the dependence ,i can't find the "libopencascade-dev libpythonqt2-dev",and I don't know how to do next ,I am using Ubuntu14.04

What is the best way to install Elmer and ElmerGui on my machine? Where can I find instructions on this?

yours zhang liangfu
annier

Re: the difference between ElmerNonGUI and Elmer,ElmerGUI

Post by annier »

Hi Mr. Zhang,
In Elmer NonGUI, we install all the modules of Elmer except the GUI, and thus need to give terminal based command to import the mesh, run the solver and start the postprocessor.
In ElmerGUI, we use these features via GUI.

Advantages of ElmerGUI
We can see the geometry while we are assigning the input parameters.
Structure
Mesh-->>ElmerGUI-->>SIF(within GUI framework)-->>Output

Extended Capabilities of Elmer NonGUI
the main advantage of Elmer NonGUI is we can write the solver input file in the most flexible way since we are going to run it using ElmerSolver command in the terminal. However, in ElmerGUI, the GUI needs the solver input file to be in its exact format and will erase the additional things which we write without it. An out of GUI based sif format is required in the context of coupling of a large number of solvers.
Structure
Write input codes in a textfile and rename it as abcd.sif and put it in a directory with the mesh files. Make the solver run in the terminal using

Code: Select all

ElmerSolver
command by jumping into the path of these files.

Elmer is a generic name used to refer ElmerGUI and Elmer NonGUI. The vital part of Elmer is the Elmer Solvers.
In Summary,
Elmer=ElmerNonGUI=ElmerGUI, in the context of a numerical simulation.

Yours
Anil Kunwar
Anil Kunwar
Faculty of Mechanical Engineering, Silesian University of Technology, Gliwice
zhang liangfu

Post by zhang liangfu »

Thank for your kindless MR annier

now , I have some understanding about the difference between the Elmer and the ElmerNoGUI,can you give me some suggestion about how to install an entire Elmer(Elmer with GUI) on ubuntu14.04?

looking forward to you

yours zhang liangfu
annier

Post by annier »

Hi Mr. Zhang,
I have not installed GUI in my Elmer.
I guess the Elmer team has already fixed the issues with installation of GUI.
You can find the latest version of Elmer here:
https://github.com/ElmerCSC/elmerfem/tree/devel
You can download Elmer here by clicking at the Download Zip and can install by the methods described in many links,such as
http://ascend4.org/Building_Elmer_on_Ubuntu_12.04 and in this link, importantly, you don't need to make any changes in the ElmerGUI.pri as it has already been solved by the Elmer Team.

Yours
Anil Kunwar
Anil Kunwar
annier

Post by annier »

Hi,
If you have already installed ElmerNonGUI, then the only thing remaining for you to go to the ElmerGUI is to install the
1. GUI module
2. Post module (if you have not installed ElmerPost)

Now, you can additionally do this task:
1. Download the development version of Elmer from by clicking download zip in https://github.com/ElmerCSC/elmerfem/tree/devel. Please,note that the downloaded directory after extraction, has the name elmerfem-devel
2. Complete installation of ElmerNonGUI starting from step 3, as described in viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3653&sid=bb781d0cb2 ... 8bd377f67e. So, in this installation, the word elmerfem is replaced by elmerfem-devel. Complete the installation process till you come to the sentence The installation and compilation of elmer in nonGui form is completed in the above link.
3. Install GUI module (assuming that elmerfem-devel is in HOME directory). $ means, something has to be typed in terminal.

$cd elmerfem-devel

$cd ElmerGUI

$export ELMER_HOME=$HOME/elmerinst/

$qmake

$make 

$make install

$cd ..
4. Install Elmer Post module (Now, you are inside elmerfem-devel directory)

$cd post 

$./configure --prefix=$HOME/elmerinst 

$make  

$make install 

$cd 
This is just adding the two modules in the already installed ElmerNonGUI and converting into the ElmerGUI.
Now, you can type in terminal:

$ElmerGUI

Yours
Anil Kunwar
Anil Kunwar