Problem compiling fem module

Discussion about building and installing Elmer
Evan
Antispam: Yes

Problem compiling fem module

Post by Evan »

Hi there, I am trying to compile the latest SVN version of Elmer (6822), however it is failing when trying to compile the fem module. The problem seems to be related to Trilinos, which appears to have compiled properly. The error I am getting is:

Code: Select all

make[2]: Entering directory `/home/evan/FROZEN/Elmer/elmerfem/fem/src'
gfortran -m64 -fPIC -Wl,-rpath=/usr/local/ElmerRev6822/lib  -L.  -L/usr/lib -L/usr/include/trilinos/lib -lbelostpetra -lbelosepetra -lbelos -lml -lifpack -lamesos -lgaleri -lisorropia -lepetraext -ltpetrainout -ltpetra -ltriutils -lzoltan -lepetra -lkokkoslinalg -lkokkosnodeapi -lkokkos -lteuchosremainder -lteuchoscomm -lteuchoscore -lteuchosnumerics -lteuchosparameterlist -L/usr/local/ElmerRev6822/lib \
	      -o ElmerSolver Solver.o mpi_stubs.o \
	      -L. -lelmersolver  
./libelmersolver.so: undefined reference to `Epetra_MpiComm::Epetra_MpiComm(int)'
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
There are several of these errors during compilation. I am running the latest version of Linux Mint.

The script I am using to compile Elmer is here. I also uploaded the full output when compiling here.
Evan

Re: Problem compiling fem module

Post by Evan »

Alright, I solved the problem. The Elmer fem module will not work with the latest version of Trilinos (11.6.2). I used version 11.2.5 and I was able to get Elmer to build properly.
annier

Re: Problem compiling fem module

Post by annier »

Hi Evan,
Though you already solved it by using the older version of your linux OS, I want to mention some libraries where we should be concerned while installing the fem module.

1. What is the default version of Tcl/Tk libraries in Trillinos (11.6.2)? Elmers is compiled in versions of Tck/Tk 8.5 or older and sometimes newer libraries of Tcl/Tk come with the issue of backward compatibility.
In Ubuntu 14.04 (Tcl/Tk8.6 as default versions), we get Elmer installed by exporting the path of the older Tcl/Tklibraries and prefixing the configuration path with these libraries.

export TCLTK_INCPATH="/usr/include/tcl8.4"

./configure --prefix="$ELMER_HOME" --with-tcltk="-ltcl8.4 -ltk8.4"
2. Also, can you locate the path of mpi in your computer?

Yours
Anil Kunwar
Anil Kunwar
Faculty of Mechanical Engineering, Silesian University of Technology, Gliwice