Elmer windows installer

Discussion about building and installing Elmer
kataja
Antispam: Yes

Elmer windows installer

Post by kataja »

Hi all,

there's a windows installer available for testing at http://www.nic.funet.fi/pub/sci/physics ... -AMD64.exe. You can also install the elmer from a zip file (in http://www.nic.funet.fi/pub/sci/physics ... -AMD64.zip) but then you have to set some environment variables by hand. For reference run ElmerGUItester.exe.

Note that Elmerfront nor ElmerPost are compiled in. For visualization you can use VTK post processor, or preferably, paraview.

The installer is built from the unofficial github fork (github.com/ElmerCSC/elmerfem, devel branch) of the official elmerfem svn repository with mingw32-w64 (gcc-4.8.3) and msys.

Cheers,
Juhani
mark smith

Re: Elmer windows installer

Post by mark smith »

Hi Juhani,
Does this build have mpi support for elmersolver_mpi ?
Regards
Mark
kataja

Post by kataja »

Hi,
that's a pure serial build.

-Juhani
kataja

Post by kataja »

Hi again,

now there is an 64bit MPI (based on MS-MPI) version available at http://www.nic.funet.fi/pub/sci/physics ... -AMD64.exe. It is based on Elmer svn r6818 at http://sourceforge.net/p/elmerfem/code/HEAD/tree/.

That build has been subject to somewhat light testing so I'd be happy to hear any experiences about the package.

B.R.,
Juhani
mzenker

Post by mzenker »

Hi,

I have just installed Elmer 7.0.1 (package elmerfem-20140730_Windows-AMD64.exe) on a Windoze 7 64-bit machine. I had Elmer 7 (32-bit) installed before, uninstalled it prior to the new install. ElmerGUItester reveals that apparently the installer doesn't set the PATH Environment variable correctly (although I told it to do so during Installation). There are still the old Elmer7 settings in the PATH, I will fix this manually now and see how Elmer will run after that.
Also I have noticed that the ElmerGUIlogger is gone. Is this on purpose?

Matthias
mzenker

Post by mzenker »

Hi again,

fixed the PATH and ELMER_HOME. Now ElmerGUItester complains still the path for ElmerPost is not correct. This is true, but ElmerPost is not contained in the package. Only a link is created by the installer. Strange - fortunately I don't use ElmerPost any more.

I would propose to build an extra binary package containing only ElmerPost (and maybe even ElmerFront) for those who still want to use it. This will be a one-time effort since the contents is not likely to change in the future.

Another observation: ElmerSolver does not tell its revision at startup. This is a bit annoying for bug reports.

Matthias
raback
Site Admin

Post by raback »

Hi Matthias

Thank you for the feedback!

We'll see what could be done about the revision. Git does not have a unique revision number because of its distributed natures. However, there are still ways to have a unique stamp for an installer.

ElmerPost is problematic since it seems rather difficult to get it under cmake with a small effort. And as it is no longer developed, our idea is to rip an ElmerPost-only package from the old installer. This way people could be separately installed. For ElmerFront we have no such plans. I don't know anybody who would still use it...

-Peter
mzenker

Post by mzenker »

Hi Peter
raback wrote:ElmerPost is problematic since it seems rather difficult to get it under cmake with a small effort. And as it is no longer developed, our idea is to rip an ElmerPost-only package from the old installer. This way people could be separately installed.
Yes, this is what I meant.
raback wrote: For ElmerFront we have no such plans. I don't know anybody who would still use it...
I don't either - ElmerFront was practical for me to find out body and boundary indices which were difficult to find with ElmerGUI. But with the Elmer->gmsh format conversion and some improvements in ElmerGUI (I have the impression that the body selection in 3D has been fixed), this is no longer relevant.

Matthias
mzenker

Post by mzenker »

Hi,

small bug in the 64-bit Windoze installer: The elmerf90 command does not work if one does not take care to use an installation path (ELMER_HOME directory) without spaces (currently it's "C:\Program Files (x86)\Elmer 7.0.1" under Windoze 7). So either the installer should suggest a path without spaces (e.g. "C:\Programs\Elmer7.0.1") and warn the user that the path should not contain spaces, or the elmerf90 script should be modified to handle spaces in the command properly.

And again the question: Why is the ElmerGUIlogger gone? Sometimes its output is practical in case of problems.

Matthias
raback
Site Admin

Post by raback »

Hi Matthias

Juhani who created these will start again working with the installers next week so I hope he can address some of the questions. Thanx for your efforts to test these!

-Peter