Elmer on 64 bit Windows 7

Discussion about building and installing Elmer
ashinbrot

Elmer on 64 bit Windows 7

Post by ashinbrot »

Just wondering if there is, or will be, a compiled version of Elmer for 64 bit Windows 7.

I was able to load the Nightly Build (which I assume is 32 bit) from just a few days ago and interestingly everything works fine (GUI comes up, Equations, Materials, BC's seem to work) but irritatingly the solver does not seem to work properly, which I assume is a function of the 64 system. The analysis never converges; sometimes it does nothing at all, just hangs.

I have a dual boot system and was able to complete the same test analysis (linear beam from Tutorial) with the compiled version of Elmer for Unix on this same 64 bit machine.

Thanks
raback
Site Admin
Antispam: Yes

Re: Elmer on 64 bit Windows 7

Post by raback »

I don't think that there are plans for 64 bit Windows 7 version. However, my wild guess is that your problems result from that you have a white space in the path of your working directory. ElmerSolver does not like those.

-Peter
ashinbrot

Re: Elmer on 64 bit Windows 7

Post by ashinbrot »

Thx Peter,

My path is c:\fe_temp so I don't think that's it.

What I find so strange is I can do everything but solve; I even ran the analysis in Ubuntu and then imported the project and all the files to Windows and it still doesn't work!

Thanks for the help.