elmerGUI installation on Debian Lenny (1)

Discussion about building and installing Elmer
hazelsct

Re: elmerGUI installation on Debian Lenny (1)

Post by hazelsct »

I don't know about Tetgen interaction (the Debian version does not link to it), but have you tried running ElmerGUI from the menu using the Debian package? It's under Applications | Science in Debian Lenny with GNOME, I think the Ubuntu menu system puts it under Applications | Education. I have never seen the problem you described.
mal
Site Admin

Post by mal »

Hi Adam,
hazelsct wrote: There is a Debian package for Elmer in unstable, with a lenny backport at: http://www.opennovation.org/debian/ .

This is also in the Wiki under Compilation and Installation.

I'd be happy to follow up on any comments or suggestions you have for the package.
I just made a clean installation of Ubuntu 9.10 beta, and found out that Elmer is available through the package manager as such. It installs fine and works as expected, even in parallel. I will update the installation instructions and make a new topic on this, as soon as the new version of the distribution is released.

Thank you for your efforts, they are highly appreciated.

Mikko
hazelsct

Post by hazelsct »

Hi Mikko,

I'm glad to hear that it worked "out of the box" for you. I have tried to activate every feature possible, except regarding non-free libraries such as TetGen; I tihnk only MUMPS linkage is missing. And for parallel operation, it is only possible to partition by nodes, not by elements, due to a limitation of the Scotch free replacement of METIS; the GUI has the "2" suffix to activate nodal partitioning by default. But (P)ARPACK, UMFPack/AMD, BLAS/LAPACK (for the banded solver), MPI, and hypre should all work, along with of course OpenCASCADE, VTK, PyQT, and other GUI libs.

At some point I'll see if we can get your NetGen patches into the Debian netgen package, so Elmer doesn't have to bring its own separate version.

Please let people know they should file bugs with the package via the Debian bug tracking system at http://bugs.debian.org/ .

Elmer is a beautiful and comprehensive yet lean and simple FEA suite. I hope this package will make Debian/Ubuntu installation nearly as seamless and convenient as the Windows installer so more people will be able to take full advantage of Elmer.

-Adam