Installing in Ubuntu 11.10 - Oneiric Ocelot

Discussion about building and installing Elmer
madstamm

Installing in Ubuntu 11.10 - Oneiric Ocelot

Post by madstamm »

Dear all,

Ive been trying to install Elmer, with 64bit, MPI and Hypre support, on Ubuntu 11.10.
As a beginner Linux user, i have gotten almost all the way, but the fem package doesnt compile after a day of tinkering.

Is there a chance that openinnovation.com will offer a "oneiric" (Ubuntu 11.10) package?
The lucid package unfortunately has fixed dependencies on some packages, and wont install in oneric. For example, it wants libopencascade-foundation-6.3.0 exactly, but the version installed in 11.10 is libopencascade-foundation-6.5.0:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Depends: libavcodec52 (>=4:0.5.1-1) but it is not installable or
libavcodec-extra-52 (>=4:0.5.1-1) but it is not installable
Depends: libavutil49 (>=4:0.5.1-1) but it is not installable or
libavutil-extra-49 (>=4:0.5.1-1) but it is not installable
Depends: libopencascade-foundation-6.3.0 but it is not installable
Depends: libopencascade-modeling-6.3.0 but it is not installable
Depends: libswscale0 (>=4:0.5.1-1) but it is not installable or
libswscale-extra-0 (>=4:0.5.1-1) but it is not installable
Depends: libvtk5.2 but it is not installable
Depends: libvtk5.2-qt4 but it is not installable
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for your help!

Mike Stamm
limestone
Antispam: Yes

Re: Installing in Ubuntu 11.10 - Oneiric Ocelot

Post by limestone »

Mike,

I'm far from experienced in Linux, but if it helps, any:

Search the forum for libvtk5.2 and you can see what I did. (Though I have a feeling your problem might be more difficult.)

I understand that Ubuntu dumped Synaptic Package Manager in Oneiric. I like it. What I would recommend would be to get
Synaptic, then install the Opennovation repository data and authentication key. Then try to install Elmer with Synaptic, or go back and forth between Synaptic and Apt.

My current setup is convenient. I can live with being a few months behind the SVN, and Synaptic tells me when an Elmer upgrade is available at Opennovation. (I say this
like an old hand, though I've only upgraded once. However, no hiccups.)

I understand that the above does not really answer your question. I assume you appreciate that Synaptic can function with repositories of various vintages. For example, though I am technically Natty, my Opennovation repository being at Lucid causes no problems.

Gary
staurolite
Antispam: Yes

Post by staurolite »

I have installed successfully on Oneiric. Building in the fem directory should not depend upon opencascade et al. It and its graphical companions are used only in ElmerGUI. Within the ElmerGUI directory, you can edit the ElmerGUI.pri file to reflect the actual (generally newer) versions of the various graphical packages required for building. See the README file in ElmerGUI for details. Then start the build process with qmake.
hazelsct

Post by hazelsct »

I'm afraid opennovation.org is going to jump straight from Lucid Lynx to Precise Pangolin, the next LTS release. It's based on what I use on my desktop, because I haven't had as much time recently to keep things up to date on multiple Ubuntu versions.

For newer Ubuntu releases, you might have better success looking at the newest Debian unstable packages.