Installing Elmer on Debian Lenny

Discussion about building and installing Elmer
Ahmed

Installing Elmer on Debian Lenny

Post by Ahmed »

I have tested and tried Elmer on my Windows partition using the installer (sourceforge),
Now I am trying to build it on my Debian partition. The downloaded script builds Elmer Front but not ElmerGUI.
Reading through the ElmerGUI manual, I see the need to have both VTK and openCascade installed. I rolled up my sleeves and tried to do that, but, to say the least, I am not qualified to install them (they are not available through synaptic and cmake gives a good number of options that I cannot understand,)
My question is simple, and that is if you plan to release a debian binary for the whole suit or the ElmerGUI
I guess that would be a great idea
Thanks for reading and Good Luck
NB
based on my Windows experience with the programme, my opinion is that it is a great software.
mal
Site Admin

Re: Installing Elmer on Debian Lenny

Post by mal »

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe Debian 5.0 provides both VTK (libvtk5-qt4-dev) and OpenCascade (libopencascade-dev).

See also http://www.elmerfem.org/wiki/index.php/ ... u_Packages
tzwinger
Site Admin
Antispam: Yes

Post by tzwinger »

mal wrote:I'm not 100% sure, but I believe Debian 5.0 provides both VTK (libvtk5-qt4-dev) and OpenCascade (libopencascade-dev).

See also http://www.elmerfem.org/wiki/index.php/ ... u_Packages

I think the OpenCascade package for Lenny is to be found in Adam Powell's repository (see http://www.opennovation.org/debian/).
Ahmed

Post by Ahmed »

Hello There
Mal
You are absolutely right, they are available on the Debian repositories, but there is a catch, they are labeled as NonFree and as such the synaptic does not display them. To solve this situation, one has to change the synaptic settings so it can search, display and DownLoad them.
Any way, after this adjustment to the settings, I downloaded them and back to the ElmerGUI folder.

a qmake followed by make produces a long list of warnings and two errors, just a few lines from the top and the last ones:

ahmed@debian:~/elmer/trunk/ElmerGUI$ make
cd matc && qmake matc.pro -o Makefile
cd matc && make -f Makefile
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/ahmed/elmer/trunk/ElmerGUI/matc'
gcc -c -pipe -g -w -O2 -D_REENTRANT -I/usr/share/qt3/mkspecs/default -I. -o obj/c3d.o src/c3d.c
gcc -c -pipe -g -w -O2 -D_REENTRANT -I/usr/share/qt3/mkspecs/default -I. -o obj/clip.o src/clip.c
gcc -c -pipe -g -w -O2 -D_REENTRANT -I/usr/share/qt3/mkspecs/default -I. -o obj/dri_ps.o src/dri_ps.c
gcc -c -pipe -g -w -O2 -D_REENTRANT -I/usr/share/qt3/mkspecs/default -I. -o obj/eig.o src/eig.c
rm -f ngcore/libng.a
mv -f libng.a ngcore/
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/ahmed/elmer/trunk/ElmerGUI/netgen'
cd Application && qmake Application.pro -o Makefile
WARNING: Found potential symbol conflict of bodypropertyeditor.cpp (src/bodypropertyeditor.cpp) in SOURCES
WARNING: Found potential symbol conflict of bodypropertyeditor.h (src/bodypropertyeditor.h) in HEADERS
WARNING: Found potential symbol conflict of boundarydivision.cpp (src/boundarydivision.cpp) in SOURCES
WARNING: Found potential symbol conflict of boundarydivision.h (src/boundarydivision.h) in HEADERS
WARNING: Found potential symbol conflict of boundarypropertyeditor.cpp (src/boundarypropertyeditor.cpp) in SOURCES
WARNING: Found potential symbol conflict of boundarypropertyeditor.h (src/boundarypropertyeditor.h) in HEADERS
Makefile:983: warning: ignoring old commands for target `tmp/moc_parallel.cpp'
Makefile:1031: warning: overriding commands for target `tmp/moc_solverparameters.cpp'
Makefile:992: warning: ignoring old commands for target `tmp/moc_solverparameters.cpp'
Makefile:1034: warning: overriding commands for target `tmp/moc_summaryeditor.cpp'
Makefile:995: warning: ignoring old commands for target `tmp/moc_summaryeditor.cpp'
/usr/share/qt3/bin/uic forms/bodypropertyeditor.ui -o tmp/bodypropertyeditor.h
uic: File generated with too recent version of Qt Designer (4.0 vs. 3.3.8b)
make[1]: *** [tmp/bodypropertyeditor.h] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/ahmed/elmer/trunk/ElmerGUI/Application'
make: *** [sub-Application] Error 2
ahmed@debian:~/elmer/trunk/ElmerGUI$

Since that was my first attempt to compile the ElmerGUI, I commented all the optional components as recommended in the README file.

What do you think my next step should be
Down grading QT Designer to the version you used will definitely screw up the whole system and, honestly speaking, I am not inclined to do that
Any hints will be appreciated
Good luck
Last edited by Ahmed on 10 Sep 2009, 18:13, edited 1 time in total.
Ahmed

Post by Ahmed »

Tzwinger
Thanks for the link
Ahmed

Post by Ahmed »

Thanks Tzwinger
I added that repository, then downloaded the elmer.
There is a new entry Under the Applications/Science for Elmer and Elmer logger, but clicking on either of them produces nothing
they might be broken some how
Good Luck
mal
Site Admin

Post by mal »

Hi,
Ahmed wrote:
a qmake followed by make produces a long list of warnings and two errors, just a few lines from the top and the last ones:

ahmed@debian:~/elmer/trunk/ElmerGUI$ make
cd matc && qmake matc.pro -o Makefile
cd matc && make -f Makefile
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/ahmed/elmer/trunk/ElmerGUI/matc'
gcc -c -pipe -g -w -O2 -D_REENTRANT -I/usr/share/qt3/mkspecs/default -I. -o obj/c3d.o src/c3d.c
Seems that you are compiling with Qt3. This will not work, the correct library version to use is Qt4.

You can check your Qt version by typing "qmake --version".

Perhaps your system has another qmake for Qt4 (sometimes qmake-qt4).
Ahmed

Post by Ahmed »

You are right. My Debian partition had Qt3 and Qt4 installed (Do not remember why I installed both), so using synaptic I removed every thing related to Qt3 till the qmake --version command gave me the right answer ( you can say that I followed a savage draconian solution) but now I have the ElmerGUI running on my Debian partition.
I will have to run a tutorial or two to check if it is working ok. When I click the launcher (yes I found that logo icon and created a desktop launcher), it gives me messages about missing definitions file, material file .. but the graphical window opens.
Any way I want to thank you for your time and responses.
Good luck to all involved in this very interesting project.