This forum is dedicated to general discussion about installing Elmer on various platforms. Below are some pointers for installation and compilation:
- Virtual machine based on Ubuntu (or older on Linux Mint) provides the best possible environment with many auxiliary software and
parallel environment. The virtual machines for Windows are hosted by nic.funet.fi. The 32-bit Ubuntu version under VMPlayer should work under any OS. The password for the virtual machines is "elmerfem". The size of the VM is several Gb so be aware that you absolutely require a fast connection!
- Windows users can install Elmer by using an automated installer hosted by SourceForge.Net
- There are also some older version and experimental builds available under nic.funet.fi
- Some Linux distributions, such as CAELinux or Ubuntu, come with ready compiled packages of Elmer. Unfortunately these tend to be somewhat
outdated so they are not recommended if you need the fresh features. It is recommended to check the compilation date of the distribution.
- If you are installing Elmer from source, please have a look at the generic compilation instructions. This gives you the overall idea but might not be the best for a particular platform.
- Compilation information for various platforms can be found from elmerfem wiki. These instructions are provided by the community and it is difficult to assess how relevant they are.
Note to users of Windows installer: Your account should be equipped with administrator privileges when running the installer. If your setup is really old you may also have to download and install the Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package from MS Download Center.
Edit: updated some information and added additional pointers, 26.9.2013 / Peter