FYI: Report on Elmer in heat conductivity determination

Elmer cases by the users for the users
petroo

FYI: Report on Elmer in heat conductivity determination

Post by petroo »

Hello @all,

I was not quite sure if this sub-forum is the right place to publish respective information. If not, forum maintainers please re-link this contribution! ;)

Background: In the last 3 years (with a 1 year's pause) we performed a study on the possibility of determining heat conductance properties of building walls of unknown structure, without the necessity to bore a hole right through and to perform a visual inspection of their constructions.

Topic of the project:
Development of a Fast, Non-Invasive Determination of Thermal Conductivities of Opaque Building Walls

The innovative idea was

a) to perform a thermographic detection of transmitted heat at the outside surface of a wall after introducing the heat at the inner surface in a controlled manner. The experiment is accompanied by Elmer simulations testing different constellations of thermodynamic parameters (heat conductivity, heat capacity, wall dimension, layer structure) for the best possible approximation of simulation to experimental results.

b) to monitor the temperature development *inside* a wall in a bore hole, with the inner and outer surface temperatures of the wall being the determinants of the imposed temperature distribution. Again, Elmer is used to simulate the time resolved temperature distribution inside the wall, but this time as a time series at the position of the wall-interior temperature measurement spot. Elmer (in collaboration with the Salomé mesh generator) is integrated as a batch processing engine into an evolutionary optimization cycle for thermodynamic parameter determination.

The final report on this project is available as (sorry: German-only!) full report (approx. 6 MB) and a short summary in english.

If anyone in here is interested in a future cooperation on similar or related topics we would love to receive a short notice!

Regards, and thanks to the Elmer Team to make such developments possibe! :!: :!:

Peter
raback
Site Admin
Antispam: Yes

Re: FYI: Report on Elmer in heat conductivity determination

Post by raback »

Hi Peter

Nice application! Maybe a little bit more real-world measuments than I'm used to ;-) They sometimes make things more complicated. Still it fits nice under this Forum.

BR, Peter
petroo

Re: FYI: Report on Elmer in heat conductivity determination

Post by petroo »

Hi Peter,
raback wrote:... Maybe a little bit more real-world measuments than I'm used to ;-) They sometimes make things more complicated.
Yes - this is certainly a drawback for us "colourful fluid dynamics" guys! :roll:
Things are most fruitful if you don't have to bother about this ugly RL business at all!

But honestly: I'm someone right "in between" from my origin. Stemming from the swamps and dungeons of real life experimental science I'd love to see the grace and shininess of the theoretical treatment for practical applications, but was hitherto rather disappointed by the forecasting power of the calculational approach - not only in my own calculational efforts. :mrgreen:

Btw, I was a bit surprised by the CMC Elmer workshop announcement for Jan 9th. Had I seen it earlier I would have loved to participate, but now other dates are fixed for the respective period. (Okay, my fault: I was too infrequently here during the last months ...)

I didn't find another Elmer workshop on CMC's present timeline, therefore my question: Is there another one being offered some time in the foreseeable future? Or, to minimize travel efforts/expenses: Are there any workshops intended in the (relative) vicinity of Aachen?

Regards,

Peter