GiD problem type on windows 7

Clearly defined bug reports and their fixes
mark smith

GiD problem type on windows 7

Post by mark smith »

Hi Elmer team
I've found a bug which I think is related to the size of the problem i.e. the number of elements, in my case linear tets. It causes elmersolver to crash when trying to write out the gid results file using the ResultOutput solver, specifically stress results from a stresssolve problem. Strangely this seems only to occur under windows 7 64bit, I cannot reproduce it under XP 32bit ?
The mesh is generated using GiD version 9 but a 64bit version on windows 7 and a 32bit version on XP both use the Elmer problemtype routines to convert the Gid mesh to Elmer format, the sif file is identical in both cases.
Under win7 64bit if I don't write out gid format results but vtk instead elmersolver runs to completion & produces a valid vtk file with all stress,strain diplacement fields etc, the .ep file is also produced. If i comment out writing the stress components in gid format then it also runs OK ?
I have yet to confirm that a valid run under windows 7 produces identical results under windows XP.
If I use the mesh files produced under XP32 for a run on windows 7 64bit the solver runs Ok, If I use mesh files produced on windows 7 64bit on XP32 Elmers solver crashes? I have a feeling it might be something to do with the findparents.exe or gid2elmer.exe running on windows 7 that might be to blame but I'm unsure how to check?
Thanks in advance
Regards
mark
mark smith

Re: GiD problem type on windows 7

Post by mark smith »

Hi Elmer team
I seem to have tracked it down to a problem of some points I had left in the geometry that were meshed but not part of any element this only happened in the windows 7 64bit version of GiD & not the windows XP32 version. when I supress meshing these points Elmer runs fine ;-)
This still doesnt explain why the resultoutput solver failed with writing a GiD format file & not with a VTK one when these spurious points were present?

Regards
mark