Elmer module for Salomé

Discussion about coding and new developments
mzenker

Re: Elmer module for Salomé

Post by mzenker »

Hi Wil,

so you succeeded to use the Salomé plugin under Linux, which means that my Linux patches work. The error messages you got are known problems. It's work in progress... ;)

Matthias
RaJa
Antispam: Yes

Post by RaJa »

Wil wrote:Dear Matthias, Dear Rainer,
how is your project evolving? Are your scripts/modules working in salome?
Edit:

When I set an equation like 'Electrostatics' 'Active', I get the following Error message in the terminal:
################
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/home/user/salomev780/Salome-V7_8_0-public/plugins/ElmerSalome/dynamiceditor.py", line 360, in _lSlot
q = QtGui.QObject.sender().property("dom address").toString()
AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'QObject'
################
I have been solving these issues over Christmas. I will upload the files tomorrow after finalisation. Although they provide the correct functionality, its still not generating any output. Matthias is working on the sif-file generator.
Wil

Post by Wil »

Thank you for the update.
I can offer to test whatever you provide. I could also provide small model cases, even if matthias is here the expert.

So let me know when I can help.
BR,
Wil
mzenker

Post by mzenker »

Hi,

thanks for offering help with the testing, we will certainly let you know when there is something to test.
But it will still take some time before we can import a mesh, write a sif file and start the solver, let alone convergence view and logfile... ;)

Matthias
RaJa

Elmer module for Salomé - Alpha-Version available

Post by RaJa »

There is now a working Alpha-release available on github.
https://github.com/physici/ElmerSalomeModule

It offers all the core functionality in combination with Salome 7.8. You might want to try it out.

Cheers,
Rainer
annier

Post by annier »

Hi Rainer and Matthias,
Great work.
I am using Elmer installed from launchpad in Ubuntu 16.04 OS and the salome version is 7.8.0.
Opening the plugin in mesh module of Salome7.8.0
Opening the plugin in mesh module of Salome7.8.0
Salome_and_Elmer_interfacing.jpg (125.99 KiB) Viewed 9698 times
A demonstration of using the interface in the Tools bars of Salome7.8.0
A demonstration of using the interface in the Tools bars of Salome7.8.0
elmer-salome-interface-screenshot.png (476.76 KiB) Viewed 9698 times
Cheers

Yours Sincerely,
Anil Kunwar
Anil Kunwar
Faculty of Mechanical Engineering, Silesian University of Technology, Gliwice
RaJa

Post by RaJa »

Thanks for the pics :D

Meanwhile, the plugin also works with Salome 8.2.

The next big feature will be the start of the Elmer Solver from within Salome. That might be available mid of April. Additionally, the missing "free text" settings from the solver settings will be implemented.

Have fun,
Rainer
sampo

Elmer module for Salomé - some thoughts

Post by sampo »

Hi,

I have played with the plugin and it is definitely a nice step towards 'workbench' like workflows with Elmer, by binding geometry, meshing, multiphysical simulation and post-processing together. Thanks!

I think, it would be nice, if in the future there could be operation specific icons (like general settings, boundary and initial conditions, etc.) to minimize the repetition of the menu path: 'Tools', -> 'Plugins' -> 'Elmer'. This would improve the usability of the plugin a lot.

I was able to successfully write a sif file, but when I did some modifications to my simulation settings, and tried to create the sif file again inside the same SALOME version 8.2 sessions, the process failed with the error message on below. Anyone else encountered the same problem?
error_1.png
error_1.png (20.36 KiB) Viewed 9662 times
BTW in the installation instructions on the GitHub, the name of the environmental variable to register the plugin directory should probably be 'SALOME_PLUGINS_PATH' instead of 'SALOME_PLUGIN_PATH'?

Keep up the good work!
Sampo
RaJa

Post by RaJa »

Hi,
Thanks for your feedback.

The error you got is a bug. I have messed up indentation. I am currently working on a call to the ElmerSolver, so that you could start the simulation from within Salome. With this release, the bug will be corrected.

Unfortunately, your suggestion regarding icons/toolbars is not so easy to realize. Currently, the Elmer module works as an additional plugin in Salome. These are only accessible via the Menu-entries. Toolbars are reserved for Salome modules which are developed within the Salome framework. I have absolutely no idea how to do that, as the documentation is not very clear on that topic. I have also posted a question in the Salome forum, but nobody answered up to now. The same applies to context sensitive right-mouse-menus. I really would like to have something like that. But that is kind of tricky.

A possible solution would be a floating "Elmer control window" that is activated via the menu and which offers the access to the Elmer functionality. I am open to suggestions ;-)

Regards,
Rainer
RaJa

Post by RaJa »

So, finished the call to the Elmer Solver. If you have MS-MPI under windows, it even runs on multiple cores. However, this is Windows-only. Don't know what the correspondent call on Linux would be.

Additionally, I have implemented a small window that stays on top of the Salome window and which allows the setup of the Elmer stuff.