ElmerGUI feature request: multi-species advection-diffusion

Discussion about coding and new developments
hazelsct

ElmerGUI feature request: multi-species advection-diffusion

Post by hazelsct »

It would be nice to use multiple species in AdvectionDiffusion via ElmerGUI. This has been an issue since I contributed its XML file:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=105&p=347
And in general this is consistent with a goal of having all of Elmer's capabilities exposed in the GUI.

I think the SaveScalars XML file provides a mechanism for doing this, by using the "Activate" tag, but there are two problems:
[*] Parameters need to pre-pend the variable name, for example if it is "Thallium" then the property is "Thallium Diffusivity" and there does not seem to be a way to do that in the .xml.
[*] Because "Thallium Diffusivity" is not is SOLVER.KEYWORDS, the .sif file will need "Real" in the property.

Any ideas on how to do this? It looks like these files are loaded in MainWindow::loadDefinitions() but it's not clear where they're converted into the GUI elements, or if there's a place to modify the document elements, e.g. to replace some code with the variable name.

-Adam
Inge
Antispam: Yes

Re: ElmerGUI feature request: multi-species advection-diffusion

Post by Inge »

I am also interested in this, any thoughts?
selverston

Post by selverston »

Just wanted to second this request. The capability of handling multiple species would make Elmer much more useful to me. I believe I'd have to use Comsol to handle that currently (at least, in an nice graphical multiphysics environment), but can't afford that software and generally prefer to use open source software

Steve Selverston
raback
Site Admin

Post by raback »

Hi Steve,

This is rather straight-forward work but there just hasn't been any project where we would have depeloped this. Actually it is not sufficient to do the work only in GUI, it would be good to introduce also a multispecies advection-diffusion solver.

-Peter