Suggestion for future ElmerGUI layout

Discussion about coding and new developments
schnumbl
Antispam: Yes

Suggestion for future ElmerGUI layout

Post by schnumbl »

Hi together,

I have a suggestion for the layout of ElmerGUI. I know it is a lot of work and I currently dont
have the time to support you much/do it on my own. However, at least I would like to share the idea:

- Instead of using a menu on the top of the window, a tree structure could be used to add extra
elements (equations, materials ect.). Here is a screenshot of Comsol4.2 that has such a tree
on the left side:

- Each tree node has sub menus that can be accessed with right mouse click. Depending on the type of the node,
e.g. "material", the sub menu offers the corresponding child nodes to add, modify ect.

- I like the tree because it corresponds well with the structue of the code.

- In my opinion it would be nice to see the code of the *.sif file in a script window. If manual changes are made in the code, the
tree would change automatically (Comsol does not support something like this).

It would be very easy to learn the script language, because tree actions would diretly cause code changes.
It would also be a nice tool to navigate through the code.
Maybe it would make sense to split the code window in several sub windows (*.grd file, *.sif file, file with post processing commands).

Regards,

Stefan
Last edited by schnumbl on 03 Nov 2011, 17:02, edited 1 time in total.
schnumbl

Re: Suggestion for future ElmerGUI layout

Post by schnumbl »

Here is a proof of principle tree based code editor example that I wrote with eclipse and xtext:

http://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php ... msg_734711

(It cannot be used to edit sif files yet. The grammar and the tree node actions have to be finished.)
Peggie

Re: Suggestion for future ElmerGUI layout

Post by Peggie »

I think it's a great idea!